Packing for a move is one of the most stressful things you can do in your life. Moving with children can make this stress worse. That’s why planning their move thinking of them can only facilitate the process of moving.
• Inform your children as soon as possible of your intention to move. Moving can be very difficult for children, so it’s important to let them know when they do it. They will need time to adjust to the idea and time to say goodbye to their friends.
• Before moving, try to bring as many clothes, toys and essentials for your child. It may seem easier to do it later, simply because of the number of their belongings, but children may have trouble managing change and may cling to non-essential things.
• Reserve your moving company at least one month before your move (eight weeks during the summer moving season) to ensure availability on the day of your preferred move. Once you have selected your movers, you can start wrapping your belongings in anticipation of their arrival. We will even pack for you, simplifying and streamlining the moving process.
Tips for keeping children busy or involved during the move
• Ask them if they want to participate. Depending on their age, children can be very helpful in carrying out smaller tasks to facilitate the move. You can assign them to tape boxes, write labels on boxes or even coordinate a box of essentials that you will need on the day of the move.
• On the other hand, children can sometimes be shaking hands during a move. It may therefore be wise to plan their plans while the move is taking place. Organize a day of fun activities away from the move with your family, friends or even a baby sitter.
• Plan fun activities for your children that do not interfere with the move. Creating a box of articles containing coloring books, chalk, a football, empty boxes or even bubble wrap can help keep your children entertained during the moving process.
After the move
• Go around your new neighborhood with the whole family. Take a stroll or bike ride to discover the area’s parks and restaurants.
• If your new home is in the same city, invite some of your old neighbors, family members or friends to see your new home. This can help your children feel more comfortable with the move while providing them with many opportunities to schedule play dates for their children so they do not lose touch with their friends.